5 best practices when implementing a web content management system
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest"- Benjamin Franklin
Is your institution considering making a long term investment in a digital engagement and web content management system? Before you begin the process of deciding on a vendor, it’s important that you arm yourself with the relevant knowledge that when followed will help keep you on the right path towards success.
We have listed 5 of the best practice tips that you should follow when evaluating the right choice for your institution:
- Involve other users outside your department in the decision making process: Choosing the right WCMS is based on more than just a great list of features, it’s about finding one that matches the needs of its users. Engaging with marketing and communications departments means you will get a better idea of what’s right for you.
- Determine what your unique needs are: Once you’ve taken onboard the input of different departments within your institution, consider what the specific requirements of your institution are. For instance, what do you hope to achieve by your needs and requirements. Be specific.
- Factor in who else uses the project: Digital engagement and web content management platforms are complex systems that don’t offer a one size fits all approach. If you’re a university looking at a WCMS vendor whose main client base is in the retail sector, then you’re probably barking up the wrong tree. Focus your attention on vendors who have a large client base in your sector and who can use this experience to create the right system for you.
- Evaluate vendors efficiently: When you have narrowed down your decision, meet the project team and take the time to consider how enthusiastic the vendor is and whether you think you could work well together.
- Don’t rush the process: The selection of the right vendor doesn’t happen overnight. Prepare to be patient, from start (the evaluation process) to finish (the date you go live), the entire process can take anywhere from 4-12 months.
Tagged: content management , CMS Leave a comment