User Friendly Web Content Management System
We're aware that every organisation has users with varying degrees of technical capability. We recognise that limited technical skills should not prevent content creators having the power to publish their valuable content. TERMINALFOUR Site Manager is a completely browser-based web content management system and has been designed for use by occasional end-users with basic keyboard skills. The more powerful functionality of the software is reserved for more advanced users at administrator or power user level.
The interface is one of the few web content management systems to be accessible and cross browser compatible, supporting users with Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari and Google Chrome on Windows, Apple or Linux computers. We even support Tablets and Smart Phones such as the Apple iPhone and iPad.
TERMINALFOUR Site Manager offers a choice of four alternative content editing interfaces:
- "Direct Edit": A fully dynamic in-context editor for occasional users to update web page elements in a structured way whilst looking at the finished web page.
- Standard forms based interface featuring "WYSIWYG"; easy-to-use "MS Word-style" icons for easy formatting
- eForms Gateway: enables the submission of content from outside the Web Content Management System by anonymous or authenticated users. This feature is typically used to manage user generated content from Web 2.0 features and modules.
- WebDav: enables users to access the enterprise web content management repository as a file system, allowing users to save and copy content directly from commonly used desktop applications
TERMINALFOUR Site Manager at all stages of the content authoring process ensures that consistent standards are maintained:
- Configurable workflows, approval stages and quality control checks
- Field based templates with optional compulsory fields
- Strict styles and templates, based on CSS templates, ensure quality throughout the site
- Standardised and procedural method of adding/modifying content
- Strict security privileges so that users can only update the areas of the site(s) they are responsible for
- Ability to manage the locations within a site that specific templates can be used
- Controlling file size - restricting the number of words, restricting the size of files that can be inserted
- Spell check functionality
- Clean Microsoft Office functionality removes erroneous tags
Direct Edit – Designed for Occasional Users
Direct Edit enables users logged into TERMINALFOUR Site Manager to view a given page, click the “Direct Edit” button and edit the template elements directly. In other words, instead of having to address template elements in the usual “back end editor type way”, which elements are then configured into the finished page, users can modify templates in situ i.e. in place exactly as they appear on screen. This is the ideal interface for very occasional users.
Many new users find this approach the easiest form of web page creation since there is no “conceptual leap” between the “back end editing function” and the “mysteriously created page” as can be the case in the more traditional content management editing paradigm. With TERMINALFOUR Site Manager Direct Edit, users simply “edit what they see and see what they edit.”
Direct Edit's WYSIWYG Features
- The WYSIWYG editor is completely configurable and allows for different variations for different user groups
- A "clean unnecessary MS word tagging" button within the WYSIWYG prevents unwarranted interference with corporate style sheets
- Images can be included from the web content management system's central Media Library
- The system uses "file-locking" or "check-in/check-out" functionality to prevent more than one user from working on a particular document at a time
- Facilities to author and to select from templates are determined by the System Administrator at an individual user level by username and password.
- Additional content creation tool options are all available via the tabs on the main editor screen. This could allow the setting of publish and/or expiry dates, the publishing to more than one site or channel, the creation of other language "twins", as examples.
- TERMINALFOUR Site Manager also offers full multi-language spell checking functionality as part of the WYSIWYG editor.
- Accessible TABLE builder
- Multi-lingual spell checking & dictionary
- Find and replace functionality
- Support for image manipulation